Leland is based in Hong Kong and advises clients mainly on commercial litigation, international arbitration, dispute resolution, mediation and out of court settlements. He represents corporations, executives, international entrepreneurs, and government agencies who place great importance on confidentiality and tactical considerations.
His primary focus includes rights and liabilities between business partners, companies, shareholders and directors, fiduciary duties, corporate investigations, and reciprocal enforcement of foreign proceedings.
Leland maintains close co-operation with business executives, in-house counsel and attorneys in Japan, USA, UK, France, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, and Mainland China. This has enabled him to develop effective channels in dealing with different types of multi-jurisdictional cases.
- Peregrine Investments Holdings Ltd v. Associated Press, libel action and preliminary point as to whether news report was capable of being defamatory (1997) HKLRD 1073
- Tong v. Hong Kong Housing Authority: judicial review of Hong Kong government actions relating to the eviction of residents of Rennie’s Mill (1999) 8 HKPLR 1332
- Sha Lo Tung Development Ltd v. Chief Executive in Council: judicial review of Hong Kong government actions relating to the designation of Sha Lo Tung Valley as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (2001) HKEC 23
- Allied Group Ltd v. Secretary for Justice: action to set aside previous court rulings in a judicial review application arising from the Hong Kong government’s investigation of a listed company (2003) 4 HKC 359 CA
- Muir v. Lampl: application for interim injunction against removal of director in a private company and shareholders dispute between parties in Hong Kong and USA (2004) 4 HKC 626
- Reyes v. United States Marine Corps: resolving an employment dispute between an individual and the U.S. government in the Hong Kong Court (Sunday Morning Post HK, June 19, 2005)
- Lam v. Returning Officer of Election Committee for 2006 Tourism Subsector Elections, Chief Electoral Officer, Commissioner of Independent Commission Against Corruption & Director of Public Prosecutions: application for the Court’s declarations relating to a member of the Election Committee for the Chief Executive of Hong Kong (Ming Pao News HK, March 17, 2007)
- DEX Asia Ltd v. DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Ltd: action for damages arising from liabilities in contract, tort and trust in the High Court and Appellate Court of Hong Kong (2009) 5 HKLRD 160
- Apple Daily Ltd v. Oriental Daily Publisher Ltd: copyright action between two major Hong Kong newspaper companies (Ming Pao News HK, June 17, 2009)
- Sunrise Kogyou Corporation v. Huang: action on contractual liabilities between parties in Hong Kong and Japan (Oriental Daily HK, March 10, 2012)
- Global Bridge Assets Ltd v. Sun Hung Kai Securities Ltd: action on contractual liabilities in a private company dispute between parties in Hong Kong and Mainland China (2012) 4 HKLRD 474
- Chen v. Chen: contentious probate action in Hong Kong (Apple Daily HK, July 14, 2013)
- Chen v. China Mobile Ltd: resolving an employment dispute between an individual and a listed company in Hong Kong (http://news.on.cc, September 13, 2013)
- Evo Fund v. Sato & Dynam Japan: contractual and tortious dispute between parties in Hong Kong, USA and Japan (http://orientaldaily.on.cc, March 5, 2014)
- Shenzhen Shi Qing Guo He Trading Ltd v. Asia Sports Management Ltd: contractual dispute between the Mainland Chinese sponsor and the manager of a Hong Kong professional soccer team (Sing Tao Daily News HK, April 4, 2014)
- Penrice v. United States Consul General: resolving claims against the U.S. government in the Hong Kong Court (http://legalref.judiciary.gov.hk, January 30, 2015)