Jonathan Midgley is a criminal defence lawyer and Senior Partner at Haldanes. Mr. Midgley has been consistently rated for several decades by independent legal journals as one of Hong Kong’s premier criminal defence lawyers. He is highly experienced with both white collar commercial crime cases and a very wide variety of other criminal charges. He is noted in Hong Kong for being the “go-to” lawyer when white collar professionals find themselves in need of an experienced criminal defence lawyer with a deep understanding of the Hong Kong system.
As a result of Mr. Midgley’s standing in the field of criminal defence in 2013, when Hong Kong introduced the concept of Solicitor Advocate for the first time, Mr. Midgley was immediately appointed to the criminal division. This permits him to appear in all criminal courts in Hong Kong with full rights as an advocate. He also has excellent and well established working relationships with leading barristers in Hong Kong and England, and a network of connections worldwide.
Jonathan is regularly listed in the Legal 500, Who’s Who, Chambers and Partners, Criminal Law Experts Directory and other legal dictionaries as a solicitor with extensive advocacy skills and a wealth of experience. While Jonathan has been based in Hong Kong since 1978, his practice is international.
Notable Criminal Cases :
- R v AD – successfully defending the “first” commercial crime case, a complicated corporate dispute, after a long trial
- R v CH – Attorney General senior lawyer, accused of sex with underage girl
- R v DM – charged with murder, acquitted
- R v WM – charged with rape, acquitted
- R v DC – prominent property developer charged and case dropped on representations being made
- R v DB – representing champion jockey on race fixing plea
- HKSAR v EL – successfully representing a bank’s CEO on bribery charge
- HKSAR v NW – allegation of forged Will, case dismissed
- HKSAR v JF – forged RMB, passed of inHong Kong, acquitted
- HKSAR v SY – possession of Gun at airport, mitigation