Andrew has been practising as a criminal defence lawyer in Hong Kong with Haldanes for over 25 years. He has defended many large scale white collar commercial crime cases brought by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (“ICAC”) and the Commercial Crime Bureau (“CCB”), as well as representing clients arrested by the Hong Kong Police Force, from obtaining bail at the police station until trial. Andrew has also represented many clients who are investigated by the Securities and Futures Commission (“SFC”), the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (“SEHK”), and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (“HKMA”); as well as by the Hong Kong Immigration and Customs & Excise Departments.
Andrew conducts his own trials, mitigations, and bail applications in the Magistrates and District Courts, as well as instructing suitable counsel, when required. He engages in detailed preparation of cases for the High Court, Court of Appeal and Court of Final Appeal as well as for Regulatory bodies. He has also assisted in the prosecution and detection of crime and advised companies on possible criminal conduct by directors or employees, including advice to the victims of crime. Andrew has developed strong international ties and represented clients from a wide range of countries for offences involving extradition, fraud, money laundering and computer crime.
Notable Criminal Cases:
- MTR Public Inquiry – Commission of Inquiry into new MTR railway line with construction law and criminal law aspects of the investigation, acting for a sub-contractor
- Lead solicitor in one of first criminal trials to take place partly in Mainland China using Hong Kong Law under a Letter of Request; involving examination of witnesses in a PRC courtroom before a HK and PRC Judge
- Case concerning former President of Italy; represented directors of Hong Kong companies who were on trial in Milan jointly charged with the former Italian President. Judicial Review case up to Court of Final Appeal
- Legal proceedings concerning former President of Egypt and others charged overseas; clients acquitted with Restraint Order discharged in Hong Kong
- Lead solicitor for one Defendant in “Shanghai Land” trial; won in Court of Final Appeal, with costs
- Represented maritime pilot in criminal trial after accident at sea causing multiple fatalities; acquitted in Court of Appeal, with costs
- Represented CEO of HK listed company in High Court jury trial. Conducted defence case for High Court trial up to Court of Final Appeal, with leading judgment on search warrants
- Fetish Fashion – public order trial, won with costs
- Major Hong Kong media publisher; representing journalists charged with publishing-related criminal offences
- Various well known restaurants and construction companies – representation in Court for regulatory breaches
- Former CEO of major Hong Kong bank in high profile ICAC case; won in Court of Final Appeal
- Successfully defended a Director of a Japanese multinational in a CCB trial before a High Court jury
- Represented one of wealthiest persons in Asia in high profile trial concerning forgery of a Will
- With over 25 years experience, Andrew has represented many clients for alleged bribery, fraud, conspiracy to defraud, false accounting, money-laundering, restraint orders, extradition, dangerous drugs, road traffic, theft, computer crime, assault, including sexual assault, public order, manslaughter, murder and offences under the Crimes Ordinance and ICAC Ordinance.