Andrew has been practising as a criminal defence lawyer in Hong Kong with Haldanes for over 25 years. He has defended many large scale white collar commercial crime cases brought by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (“ICAC”) and the Commercial Crime Bureau (“CCB”), as well as by the Hong Kong Police Force. He has also represented clients in many investigations by the Securities and Futures Commission (“SFC”), the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (“SEHK”) and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (“HKMA”).
Andrew conducts his own trials, mitigations, and bail applications in the Magistrates and District Courts, as well as instructing suitable counsel, when required. He engages in detailed preparation of cases for the High Court, Court of Appeal and Court of Final Appeal as well as for Regulatory bodies. He has also assisted in the prosecution and detection of crime and advised companies on possible criminal conduct by directors or employees, including advice to the victims of crime. Andrew has developed strong international ties and represented clients from a wide range of countries for offences involving extradition, fraud, money laundering and computer crime.
Notable Criminal Cases:
- Intrafor (Hong Kong) Ltd – Commission of Inquiry into the construction of the new Hung Hom MTR station link to Admiralty in the Shatin-Central railway
- Lead solicitor on one of first trials to take place partly in Mainland China using Hong Kong Law under a Letter of Request, involving full examination of witnesses in PRC
- Case concerning former President Berlusconi – represented directors of Hong Kong companies who were on trial in Milan charged jointly with the former Italian President. Judicial Review case up to Court of Final Appeal
- Restraint Order proceedings concerning former President of Egypt and others charged overseas; clients acquitted with RO discharged in Hong Kong
- Represented CEO of HK listed company in High Court jury trial – defence case for High Court trial up to Court of Final Appeal, with leading judgment on search warrants
- Fetish Fashion – public order trial, won with costs
- Next Media – representing journalists charged with publishing-related criminal offences
- Various well known restaurants – representation at trial for regulatory breaches
- Former CEO of major Hong Kong bank in high profile ICAC case, up to Court of Final Appeal
- Successfully defended a Director of a Japanese multinational in a CCB trial before the High Court
- Member of Haldanes team defending one of richest persons in Asia in high profile trial concerning forgery of a Will