Elsie Liu is the Head of Family Law Group at Haldanes and has been focusing on matrimonial and family law for over 25 years. She is one of the top divorce lawyers in Hong Kong who specialises not only in high-net-worth divorces but also in providing advice on matrimonial law to both the local and expatriate community.
Elsie has a good reputation for her ability to litigate or negotiate a full-range of family and matrimonial issues, including premarital, marital, divorce and separation, assets division and maintenance, domestic violence as well as drafting pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements. She also deals with a lot of child issues which involve high-conflict custody, care and control and access applications as well as cross-border divorces that involve complex international jurisdiction issues. Over the years, Elsie has built up a strong relationship with barristers in both Hong Kong and London, matrimonial law firms in other jurisdictions, child psychologists; forensic accountants, and mediators and can call upon them for effective support.
Apart from her litigation experience, Elsie is also a well-respected, accredited Family Mediator who is well-known in the industry. Given her passion in helping parents resolve children’s matters, she has experience in child inclusive mediation.
In addition to the above, her experience also includes:-
- Hague Convention Proceedings;
- Obtaining and resisting Financial and Non-Molestation Injunctions;
- Obtaining and resisting Prohibition and Restraining Orders;
- Contesting or defending Forum or Jurisdiction arguments;
- Representing clients in Appeal Proceedings in the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal; and
- Representing clients in Guardianship of Minors Proceedings and Wardship Proceedings
Elsie and her team at Haldanes consider themselves fortunate for the recognitions that Elsie and Haldanes have received for their expertise in Family and Matrimonial Law over the years. Such accolades include:-
- Benchmark Litigation – Family & Matrimonial Litigation Star & Top 100 Women in Litigation 2020-2021;
- Chambers and Partners Global and Asia-Pacific – Leading Firm and Notable Practitioner;
- Doyle’s Guide – Doyle’s Guide: Leading Family Law Mediator, Leading Family & Divorce Lawyer 2021; and
- Asian Legal Business (ALB) Hong Kong Awards, Matrimonial and Family Law Firm of the Year – Finalist in 2003-2006 and 2009-2020.