Partner, Solicitor Advocate
- Hong Kong (Solicitor Advocate) • England & Wales • Victoria, Australia
- Professional Qualifications
- Notary Public • Accredited Mediator • Collaborative Practitioner • Civil Celebrant of Marriages • Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- (852) 2868 1234
- (852) 2845 1637
Geoffrey has been practising law in Hong Kong since 1979 and has acted for clients in a range of major cases.
He believes it is essential to understand the stress that Court proceedings place on clients and to assist them as practically and effectively as possible.
His representation of clients has involved all levels of Courts for criminal, family and civil litigation matters, including the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal in Hong Kong, and the Privy Council in England.
He has appeared for clients in military courts-martial, the Market Misconduct Tribunal, Immigration Tribunal, Lands Tribunal, Licensing Tribunal and Obscene Articles Tribunal, and in professional and statutory disciplinary hearings.
Cases have encompassed a great deal of international work including extradition proceedings, international Restraint Orders and Letters of Request, and attending at proceedings overseas for taking of evidence.
He has helped clients with investigations by the SFC, ICAC, CCB, Police, Customs & Excise, Immigration Department and other statutory bodies.
He was awarded Higher Rights of Audience for Criminal proceedings in 2013 and is listed in international guides as one of Hong Kong’s leading white collar crime lawyers and commercial mediators.
Geoffrey has been mediating for over 20 years in Commercial and in Family matters, and has joined Hong Kong’s Collaborative Law Practice Group, which assists clients to settle disputes by a collaborative process to reach a settlement.
- Read more
Present and Former Professional Positions:
- Member of Law Society of Hong Kong; member of the Mediation Committee of HKIAC; member of the Criminal Law Procedure Committee; former Chairman of the Criminal Law & Procedure Committee and of the Law Society ADR Committee; former member of Human Rights Committee and of the Practitioner’s Affairs Committee
- Former Chairman of the Commercial Mediation Committee of HKIAC
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of International Bar Association
- Honorary Lecturer of Hong Kong University
- Member of Solicitors Disciplinary Panel
- Member of the Joint Tribunal (Hong Kong Bar Association and Hong Kong law Society)
- Member of Higher Rights of Audience Assessment Panel
- Member of many professional working parties on legislative and practice issues
Examples of Cases as Solicitor Advocate or Instructing Solicitor featured in news articles:
- Shanghai Land – fraud charges against lawyers and bankers.
- Allied Group – publication of misleading material by company directors.
- Nina Wang – alleged Will forgery.
- Dragages Rambler Channel – construction accident with death of 9 employees.
- Ka Wah Bank – multi million bank fraud
- Warwick Reid – bribery of government servant
- Dean of Medical Faculty – ICAC prosecution
- Miller – murder/manslaughter
- Broomfield – attempted murder
- Morse Park – chopping – triad gang fight.
- Kevin Jewellery – first Complex Commercial Crimes Ordinance trial in HK
- Lau Wing Yip – criminal jurisdiction of Hong Kong Courts
- Yiu Mei Yee – blackmail of celebrity
- Fetish Fashion – fetish parties prosecution
- David Li – SFC stock market manipulation, definition of key words in offences
- IHD Holdings – false accounting public company
- John Chan – false accounting/theft
- General Ferdinand Ver. Philippines Government – Letters of Request/money laundering
- Indonesian government – mutual legal assistance
- Megaupload/Kim Doctom – International Restraint Orders
- Rafael Hui and others – bribery of Chief Secretary
“A great lawyer and ADR expert”
“A very active and well-known name especially in commercial mediations.”
“One of the founders of mediation in Hong Kong.”
Who’s Who Legal
Doyle’s Guide 2022 – Leading White Collar Crime, Corporate Crime & Regulatory Investigations Lawyers – Hong Kong (Recommended)
Doyle’s Guide 2022 – Leading Criminal Lawyers – Hong Kong (Recommended)
Who’s Who Legal – Mediation 2021
Doyle’s Guide 2021 – Leading Criminal Lawyers – Hong Kong (Recommended)
Doyle’s Guide 2020 – Leading Criminal Lawyers – Hong Kong (Leading)
Doyle’s Guide 2020 – Leading White Collar Crime, Corporate Crime & Regulatory Investigations Lawyers – Hong Kong (Leading)