Nathan specialises in civil litigation with particular expertise in complex commercial disputes and land-related litigation.
His commercial experience covers shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duties, unfair prejudice and equitable winding up petitions, multiple-jurisdictions contracts, and single / multiple derivative actions. His land-related work encompasses adverse possession, repossession of land, restrictive covenants, easement, right of way, illegal structures and tenancy.
He also handles contentious probate, regulatory investigations and judicial review applications.
Selected cases are as follows:
- Acting for a listed company to prosecute former directors and parties acting in concert, a Chinese state-owned enterprise listed in Hong Kong and a Taiwan listed company, for breach of fiduciary duties and misappropriation of funds with proceedings in multiple jurisdictions involving winding up petition in Cayman Island and contempt proceedings in Hong Kong; and seeking a claim for over RMB1,000 million
- Acting for a hotel owner successfully applying for urgent asset freezing injunction and disclosure order in aid of overseas proceedings in England in a dispute over hotel management agreement; and subsequently successfully enforcing the foreign judgment in Hong Kong and opposing an interpleader summons
- Acting for a Belgium listed company successfully seeking urgent asset freezing injunction, disclosure order and bankers’ book order in a claim for tort of deceit, wrongful receipt and dishonest assistance over fraudulent transactions; and assisting the Hong Kong Police Force in investigations for conspiracy and money laundering
- Acting for a minority shareholder in a multiple derivative action against thechairman of a listed company for breach of fiduciary duties and successfully obtained costs indemnity order for the minority shareholder and equitable compensation on behalf of the listed company
- Acting for a listed company in an arbitration at Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre arising out of a sale agreement in respect of a property in Shanghai valued at over RMB600 million against a US investment fund
- Acting for a listed property developer in a dispute relating to a construction project of a golf academy involving successfully obtaining an injunction against the occupying villagers obstructing and interfering with the use of land and right of way to the site in connection with a protest
Nathan is a qualified accountant obtaining fellowship status with Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Applying his accountancy knowledge, he is competent to analyse commercial matters with financial angle and in a costs-effective manner.
Nathan is also a member of the Civil Litigation Committee of The Law Society of Hong Kong.