Timothy is an associate solicitor in the Criminal Defence Department at Haldanes since being admitted as a solicitor in 2015. Prior to his admission, he had been a paralegal and trainee solicitor at Haldanes.
He practices in the area of criminal defence with a focus on commercial and regulatory offences taken out by various law enforcement agencies, including the Independent Commission Against Corruption, Commercial Crime Bureau of the Hong Kong Police Force and the Securities & Futures Commission (“SFC”). Timothy is experienced in a range of criminal defence matters, including dishonest offences, driving offences,sexual offences, assaults, dangerous drugs related offences and immigration offences.
Timothy has acted for the defence of local and overseas clients including:
- Defending 24 individuals who were charged with using a motor vehicle for hire or reward without a hire car permit at trial, appeal at the Court of First Instance and instructing Queen’s Counsel for leave application and appeal at the Court of Final Appeal (FACC 1 of 2020);
- Conducting mitigation for an individual who pleaded guilty of one count of conspiracy to deal with property known or believed to represent proceeds of an indictable offence, the property being a sum of HK$14.6 million (DCCC 701-703 & 705/2019) (consolidated);
- Represented a couple who were charged with defrauding a bank of two mortgage loans, totalling HK$10 million, by using false income proof. Prosecution offered no evidence against the husband. The wife’s 2 years custodial sentence was suspended (DCCC 704/2018);
- Secured an acquittal for a 19 year-old student who was charged with the offence of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place, contrary to section 33(1) and (2) of the Public Order Ordinance (Cap. 245) Laws of Hong Kong;
- Secured acquittals for the director and the clerk of a Hong Kong trading company in a 12-day District Court trial case involving exportation of lard to Taiwan;
- Defended a managing director of an international investment bank in a high-profile dangerous driving causing death case;
- Assisted in the defence of a listed company chairman in the first SFC prosecution in Hong Kong on Price Rigging under section 296 of the Securities & Futures Ordinance (Cap. 571);
- Assisted in the defence of a listed company directors in a letter of credit fraud trial and instructed a leading Queen’s Counsel from London on stay applications, judicial review & appeal;
- Assisted in the defence of a director of a multi-national corporation related to pyramid-scheme investigations.
Timothy obtained his LLB degree (Hons) from the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom, a Bachelor of Social Science (Hons) in Policy Studies and Administration, and his Postgraduate Certificate in Laws from the City University of Hong Kong.
Timothy is a co-author of the following:
- Hong Kong chapter of “Doing Business in Hong Kong Guide 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2020″, published by LexisNexis in the United Kingdom.
- “Financial & Business Crime Global Guide – Hong Kong 2016 and 2017”,published by Thomson Reuters, United Kingdom.
- “Business crime and investigations in Hong Kong 2019”,published by Thomson Reuters, United Kingdom.
Timothy is an avid runner and was a member of the Hong Kong Athletics Team. He had formerly represented Hong Kong in various local and regional competitions, where he was part of the team which broke the record for the Hong Kong Junior and HKAAA Junior Records of 4x400m.